Monday, March 19, 2012

Childhood things - comic books!

Have you ever seen something online or in a thrift store that you had as a kid, and you get that weird feeling of being giggly and wistful at the same time? I know the correct word for it is nostalgia, but usually when it happens to me, it's a lot stronger than that...it's like I'm taken right back to that time, and just for a minute or so, I can actually see my surroundings in places that I hadn't thought of since I was little. It's so strange and wonderful, I swear it's almost like finding a time machine, as crazy as that sounds.



Every once in a while I like to look through Etsy's vintage category to see if I stumble across anything familiar, or I'll use Google images if I happen to think of something from my childhood that I'd enjoy seeing again. I came across this Richie Rich comic book on Etsy last night, and while I never had this particular issue, I did have several others...I was a big fan :) I got giggly just seeing the Harvey World logo and then as I took in the whole layout of the cover, it made me remember that little excited feeling I used to get, settling in to read a brand new comic book. I was a HUGE reader, I read everything I could get my hands on and then read it again until everything I owned was dog-eared & well-loved.

The best part of this, though, was the other photos that were posted on the listing...the advertisements inside! It was so funny to see the Hubba Bubba bubble gum ad, and to remember that that's where I learned the word "akimbo" :) There's also a photo of a Sea-Monkeys ad which I was never quite dumb enough to fall for - I did, however, buy my fair share of Hubba Bubba, and it really didn't stick to your face when your bubbles popped!


 I'll probably post things here as I find them, just to see if anyone else had the same stuff. I wonder if anyone else likes to do searches like this, or am I just weird? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment